Shareholder FAQs

Shareholder FAQs

  1. What is the registered address of U and I Group PLC?
  2. Who is the Registrar for U and I Group PLC, how do I contact them and what do they do?
  3. Online Services for managing your shareholding
  5. Dividends
  6. Electronic communications
  7. Annual General Meeting
  8. Communications

1. What is the registered address of U and I Group PLC?

U and I Group PLC
7A Howick Place

2. Who is the Registrar for U and I Group PLC, how do I contact them and what do they do?

i) The Registrar of U and I Group PLC is:

Link Asset Services
34 Beckenham Road

ii) Contact details are as follows:

By phone – UK – 0871 664 0300, from overseas call +44(0)371 664 0300

Calls cost 12p per minute plus your phone company’s access charge. Calls outside the United Kingdom will be charged at the applicable international rate. Link are open between 09:00 – 17:30, Monday to Friday excluding public holidays in England and Wales.

By email –

iii) What do the Registrars do?

The Registrars carry out share administration for the Company. Shares in U and I Group PLC are held on the U and I Group PLC register referenced by a unique shareholder reference number. Quoting this number in any contact with the Registrars will help them to respond more quickly to your enquiry.

iv) What shareholder issues should I contact the Registrars about?
  • Checking your holding balance
  • Transferring your shares
  • Notifying a change of name or address
  • Payment of dividends
  • Notifying a change of bank details (for dividend payments)
  • Notifying the death of a shareholder
  • Reporting a lost, stolen or destroyed certificate
  • Information about voting by proxy

(Further information on the above topics is below)

3. Online Services for managing your shareholding

You can manage your shareholding via our Share Portal at Link Asset Services. Here, you can change your address, username and password, organise how you wish to have your dividends paid to you and find information on how to buy and sell your shares.

i) Share portal information and registration

What are the benefits of the Share Portal?

The Share Portal allows shareholders to access information regarding their U and I Group PLC shareholding. The Share Portal is:

  • Online: You can access your shareholdings anywhere, anytime at your own convenience
  • Secure: The Share Portal requires a memorable word and password for secure access
  • Up-to-date: Your records are updated and maintained instantly.

To access the full range of online services you will need to register on the Share Portal. You will then be able to:

  • View your holding balance and indicative share price and valuation
  • View transactions on your holding and dividend payments you have received
  • Elect to receive shareholder communication electronically
  • Update your address details
  • Register or update a bank mandate instruction to have dividends or other payments paid directly to your bank account
  • Access a wide range of shareholder information including downloadable forms
  • Cast your proxy vote online
ii) How do I register for the Share Portal?
  1. Visit
  2. Select 'Register' from the right-hand panel
  3. Enter the following information:
    • Investor code (found on your share certificate or dividend information)
    • UK postcode
    • Surname
  4. You will then need to choose a username and a password. When selecting your password you will notice a bar changing colour - this will show you how secure your chosen password is. You will be asked to enter your username and password every time you log in to the Share Portal to identify yourself.
  5. You will also need to choose a memorable word. Each time you log in you will be asked to provide three random letters from this word.
  6. You will need to confirm that you have read and accept the terms and conditions of the service (general conditions of use). These can be read on screen or opened in a new window and printed for your records. The general conditions of use can be accessed at anytime at the bottom of each webpage.
  7. Once registered you will have full access to your account. Link will send you a confirmation letter and an email.


i) How can I find out the Company’s share price?

Our current share price (15 minute delay) can be found at the top of every page on our website. For more detailed share price information and historical data, please see the Share price page within the Investors section of the website.

ii) How much are my shares worth?

You can view an indicative value of your shareholding on the Share Portal. You can also visit the London Stock Exchange website to get a value. Alternatively, contact a bank or stock broker or check a national newspaper.

Please note that the share price obtained is subject to change, depending on market conditions.

iii) How do I buy or sell shares?

The Company’s ordinary shares can be bought or sold through most banks, building societies, stockbrokers, “share shops”, or through Link’s share-dealing facility at They all offer a similar service although the commission they charge will vary.

iv) I have lost my share certificate; how can I get a replacement?

If you have lost your share certificate please get in touch by calling the Shareholder Services Team (select ‘help’ and ‘contact us’ for details) to tell Link your certificate is missing. If your certificate has been stolen they will need a crime reference number issued by the police. They will then issue you with a letter of indemnity to replace the missing certificate.

Depending on the value of the shares you may be liable for an administration charge and a cover fee.

The cover fee will be used to provide funds in the event that someone else was relying on your original certificate, and as a result suffers a financial loss which you cannot personally meet. Link can provide this cover for you, in which case the total fee you will be liable to pay will increase based on the current share price. However, if you prefer, you can make your own arrangements by having the indemnity form guaranteed by a suitably authorised bank, insurance company or guarantee society.

If you need to pay a fee you can pay over the telephone using your debit card. If you do not have a debit card you can send a cheque payable to ‘Link Registrars Limited’. Please note Link cannot accept payment by cash, postal order or credit card.

Once you return the completed letter of indemnity, it will be processed and the replacement share certificate(s) will be sent to you within ten working days.

If you need the share certificate(s) more quickly, Link offers an express service for an extra fee. The replacement share certificate(s) will then be sent to you within two working days. When calling Link please ask our Information Consultant about this service.

When we receive the letter of indemnity, we may need to carry out satisfactory security and anti-fraud checks.

v) I have found my missing certificate but haven't sent you the indemnity back, what should I do?

Link will cancel the letter of indemnity. Please put a line through the letter of indemnity and return it to Link with a cheque made out to ‘Link Registrars Limited’ to cover the cancellation fee.

vi) I have found my missing certificate but have already sent my indemnity form back, what should I do?

If you have already filled in a letter of indemnity and sent it back to Link, the original certificate is now invalid. You will need to send the original certificate back to Link to be cancelled – it will be unable to refund any fees you paid.

vii) How do I transfer shares to someone else?

You may at some point wish to transfer your U and I Group PLC shares to someone else (for example, your spouse or partner). As these transactions usually do not involve a stockbroker, you can use a stock transfer form which can be obtained from our Registrars.

Where stamp duty is payable, the completed transfer form must be sent to a UK Inland Revenue Stamp Office and the duty paid before it can be forwarded to the Registrars.

Where stamp duty is not payable, you will need to complete the form fully, remembering to complete the stamp duty declaration on the reverse. The transfer form and share certificate (totalling at least the number of shares on the transfer) should be forwarded to the Registrars. If the share certificates represent more shares than the transfer, the Registrars will send you a share certificate representing the balance.

For more information, please contact our Registrars.

viii) How do I register the death of a shareholder?

Contact the Shareholder Services Team (select ‘help’ and ‘contact us’ for details) who will advise you what is required.

If the shares were held by just one shareholder, Link needs to see one of the original legal documents which form the Grant of Representation, either:

  • Grant of Probate (if there is a will)
  • Letters of Administration (if there is no will)
  • Confirmation (Scotland).

If the shares were held by more than one shareholder, when one of the shareholders dies Link will need to see the following:

  • An original death certificate
  • All the original share certificates that make up the holding.

Once we have registered these documents Link will let you know what you can do next. Link will be unable to make any changes to the shareholding or allow any sales or transfers until it has registered the legal representatives.

The document must be taken out in the country in which the company is incorporated. This indemnity protects U and I Group PLC and Link from any claims that may arise if another party contacts Link with a claim on the estate.

ix) I have just divorced, how do I change my name on the register?

Please write to the Shareholder Services Team (select ‘help’ and ‘contact us’ for details) and enclose the original copies of the following:

  • Decree absolute
  • Birth/marriage certificate to confirm maiden name
  • Share certificate.

5. Dividends

i) What are dividends and when do I receive them?

Dividends are payments that U and I Group PLC makes to its shareholders, typically twice or three times a year. To be entitled to a dividend, your name must be on the U and I Group PLC share register on the relevant dividend record date. Shares sold before the ex-dividend date or bought after it are not entitled to that dividend.

Check our financial calendar for dividend record dates and payment dates.

ii) Where can I find out information on historic dividends

Details of historic dividends can be found here.

iii) I don’t appear to have received a dividend?

Please contact our Registrars as soon as possible.

iv) I have a cheque that is more than a year old? Will I lose the dividend?

No, please contact the Registrars and they will issue you with a replacement cheque. Please note, there may be a small administration fee for this service.

v) Can I get a replacement for a lost dividend cheque?

Yes, please contact the Registrars as soon as possible and they will arrange for the cheque to be stopped. They will then send you a replacement cheque or pay the outstanding payment directly to your bank account, provided bank details have been supplied. Please note, there may be a small administration fee for this service.

vi) Can I receive my dividends directly into my bank account?

Yes, you can have cash dividends paid directly to your bank or building society account, or receive a cheque at your registered address.

If dividends are paid direct to your bank or building society account through the BACS system, it avoids the risk of cheques being lost in the post and your dividend will be in your account on the day the payment is made. To have dividends paid directly to your bank or building society account, please contact the Registrars.

vii) Can I receive my dividend in shares?

No. At present, the Company does not offer such a facility. Should this change in the future, shareholders will be advised.

viii) How do I receive a dividend tax voucher?

A tax voucher will be sent to you at the time of each dividend payment. Your tax voucher will state details about the dividend paid, how the amount was calculated and the associated tax credit.

If you require a replacement dividend tax voucher, please inform our Registrars, who will arrange for a duplicate to be sent to you. There is a fee for this service.

6. Electronic communications

What are E-communications and how do I sign up for them?

U and I Group Plc offers you the option to receive company communications by email. If you have not already, you can choose to receive communications electronically by selecting the ‘Manage your account’ link on the home page of the Share Portal and then ‘Manage your communication preferences’ on the left-hand side. Alternatively, you may wish to continue to receive company communications by post.

E-communication provides faster access to company information and is safer; documents sent electronically cannot get lost in the post or be read by others. It also reduces paper wastage and company costs. Examples of company information that can be sent to you electronically include the Annual Report and Notice of AGM.


7. Annual General Meeting

i) When is the next AGM?

For information on both upcoming and past AGMs please visit AGM.

ii) What happens at an AGM?

The AGM is your opportunity to become directly involved in certain company decisions. You will be asked to vote (either in person or by proxy) on important matters and you may also ask questions about them of those present.

iii) Is it possible to receive documents relating to the AGM electronically?

Yes it is! Please visit our Share Portal. for more information on signing up to electronic communications.

If you sign-up to receive electronic communications, you will receive an e-mail in advance of the AGM with links to where you can view the all relevant documents relating to the AGM. This will include a link to enable you to submit your proxy vote electronically.

iv) What should I do if I am unable to attend the AGM?

If you are unable to attend the AGM you may still cast your vote on all the resolutions, by completing and returning the proxy form sent to your registered address by the deadline indicated.

Alternatively, you can vote electronically using the Shareholder Reference Number (SRN) and PIN as detailed on the proxy form or included in the e-mail sent to you before the meeting, if you have signed-up to receive electronic communications.

Casting your vote either electronically, or by proxy, will not prevent you from attending and voting at the AGM.

8. Communications

i) How can I keep up-to-date with U and I Group PLC news?

The Regulatory news page of our website is updated via a live feed (15 minute delay) from the London Stock Exchange.

If you would like to receive automatic email notifications of regulatory news announcements you can register to receive updates via our Subscribe to RNS alerts page. This page allows you to set your preference for the type of announcements you receive and, once registered, you can change your preferences at any time.

ii) I sold my shares but still receive mailings from you?

Please contact the Registrars for further assistance.

iii) Why don’t I receive shareholder mailings?

It may be that you have a nominee holding through an ISA or other share brokerage account. This means that you are not named directly on the register and do not have a share certificate. You can obtain a statement of holding through your ISA provider or broker, receive Annual Reports and vote at general meetings. If you have any queries, please contact your ISA provider in the first instance.

If you have a joint shareholding and are not the first-named shareholder on the register, you may not receive mailings in your name as all shareholder communications are normally sent to the first-named shareholder only.